Lucien Posman is honorary professor of composition, harmony, counterpoint & fugue at the Royal Conservatory of Ghent. He was founder and is honorary chairman of the Flemish Composer Archipelago (Componisten Archipel Vlaanderen: ComAV), an interest group for Flemish composers. He is a member of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences and Arts. Posman was also actively involved in his brother André's chamber music platform De Rode Pomp. And as a bass-baritone, he is a member of several choirs.
His compositions have been performed by prominent ensembles, choirs and musicians at home and abroad and have been recorded and broadcast by various radio stations in Belgium and elsewhere. His latest CD, Welcome Stranger, recorded by chamber choir AQUARIUS and published by Phaedra, earned the 10/10 label of the music magazine LUISTER. For his song cycle 5 Songs of Experience, Lucien Posman won the Muizelhuis Prize for Chamber Music in 1988. In 2002, he shared with his brother André the Fugue Trophy, awarded by the Union of Belgian Composers to De Rode Pomp for its merits in Belgian musical life. With his piano concerto, he won the prize for new music of East Flanders. With the choral work a golden string, he became laureate of the Blake Society - Tithe Grant Competition. The Book of Los was included in the FLEMISH MUSIC CANON in 2015.
Choral work (selection)
- Vic’s vinnig zwaaien, homage canon for Vic Nees’s 60th birthday, 1995, set to lyrics by Lucien Posman
- 10 Songs of Experience, 10 songs for mixed choir, 1996, set to lyrics by William Blake
- The Book of Los, cantata for soprano, flute (a.fl./Pc), piano and mixed, 2000, set to lyrics by William Blake. Recorded in the canon of the Flemish music - recording
- To Morning for equal voices, 2000, set to lyrics by William Blake, mandatory work International Choir Competition Maasmechelen, published by CVM - recording
- To the evening star for mixed choir, 2000, set to lyrics by William Blake, mandatory work International Choir Competition Maasmechelen, published by CVM - recording
- The Tyger, song for 2 sopranos, mixed choir and harpsichord, 2003, set to lyrics by William Blake
- An die Parzen, for mixed choir and piano, 2003, set to lyrics by Friedrich Hölderlin
- Elaba, song for bricks and mortar, for 4-part male choir, published by Koor&Stem, 2010
- Hälfte des Lebens for mixed choir, 2012, composed to mark Kurt Bikkembergs’s 50th birthday (2012), set to lyrics by Friedrich Hölderlin
- A golden string, for mixed choir, 2012, set to lyrics by William Blake
- All too short a date (a song), for 4-part mixed choir, 2014, composed to mark Roland Coryn’s 75thbirthday, set to lyrics by Dirk Blockeel
- Ushururu (lullaby for Eleasha), a lullaby for mixed choir, 2015 - recording
- Songs of innocence, for soprano solo, 4-part mixed choir, harp, set to lyrics by William Blake, 2018
All scores can be requested from the composer himself.
Register for our newsletter
We keep you informed 4 times a year about repertoire news, info about Flemish composers, new acquisitions in our library, webshop or freely downloadable scores on Koorklank