Maarten Van Ingelgem
While studying piano at the conservatories of Brussels and Antwerp, Maarten Van Ingelgem (°1976) caught the choir bug.
Teacher and conductor
Van Ingelgem teaches composition in the academies of Aalst and Dilbeek. He shares his passion for creativity in his role as Professor of Composition at LUCA School of Arts, Leuven. In 2001, he started conducting the Ghent-based chamber choir for contemporary music De 2de Adem (The Second Wind). So far, he has performed 34 premieres with them.
His oeuvre as a composer ranges from solo work to string quartets, from a chamber opera to a piano concerto – for which he was awarded the Contemporary Music Prize of the Province of East Flanders. The Belgian author society Sabam honored him with a Golden Poppy for his choral oeuvre, and, twice, he became laureate of the European Award for Choral Composers.
He has written compulsory pieces for the European Music Festival for Youth in Neerpelt and for the International Choir Contest of Flanders (IKV). His choral works are sung in Belgium and abroad, and are published by Euprint and Schott Music.
His oratorio Onvoltooid Landschap (Unfinished Landscape) was commissioned by Altra Voce and Koor&Stem, set to lyrics by Annelies Verbeke on the occasion of 100 years of WWI.
World Choir Games
Maarten has accumulated years of experience compiling programs and organizing concerts for organizations like Jeunesses Musicales. He is Artistic Director of the World Choir Games, organised in Flanders July 2020.
Choral work (selection)
- Suid-Afrikaans Drinklied (2005), for SSAA, TTBB or SATB published by Koor&Stem (bundel: Componistenlink gelijke stemmen en Componistenlink gemengde stemmen)
- Kuss (2008), for SSA, published by EMJ Neerpelt (sold out), to be requested from the composer
- 24 12 1914 (2009), for 2 bugles, soloists, TTBB, not published, recording on CD Am Siebenten Tage bij Montefagorum (MFP 20132) by Camerata Musica Limburg conducted by Jan Schumacher.
- Laus Stultitiae (2011), for SATB, published by EMJ Neerpelt
- Metamorfose (2011) for SSA, commissioned by Koor&Stem en Capriccio, not published
- Jaarringen (2012) for soloists, female choir and harp, commissioned by ensemble Aquarius. recording on CD: In blijde verbijstering, published by Phaedra, In Flanders Fields, vol. 82.
- Onvoltooid Landschap (Unfinished Landscape, 2014) for children's choir, youth choir, community choir, concert choir, saxophone quartet, percussion (snare drum, djembe, vibraphone), narrator, commissioned by Altra Voce and Koor&Stem, published by Koor&Stem. Listen to Hampstead Heath by Noah Thys, one man singing all the parts. You can download (free) the score of the oratorio here.
- White Songs (2017) commissioned by IKV (International Choir Contest of Flanders)
1. Anchorite voor SSAATTBB, published by Euprint
2. Upstream voor SSA, published by Euprint
3. Mouthful of birds voor TBarB, published byEuprint
- Mühleis Lieder (2015-2018) for male choir, not published
Register for our newsletter
We keep you informed 4 times a year about repertoire news, info about Flemish composers, new acquisitions in our library, webshop or freely downloadable scores on Koorklank