Raymond Schroyens (Mechelen, 1933 - Ghent 2021) obtained a Master of Music at Mechelen's Lemmens Institute (1954) and at the Royal Flemish Conservatorium of Music in Antwerp (Koninlijk Vlaams Muziekconservatorium, Antwerpen), taking a masters in organ with the renowned Flor Peeters (1958). This took him to the USA as Director of Music.
Teacher and radio
From 1963 till 1993 Schroyens built up a music career at the Belgian National Radio in Brussels (Belgische Radio en Televisie). In 1971, a teaching position in harpsichord at the Brussels Royal Conservatorium of Music (Koninklijk Muziekconservatorium Brussel), as well as the Music Academy of his native town, was added to his curriculum till his official retirement in 1993.
Raymond Schroyens has played a number of harpsichord concerts, as a soloist (e.g. with the Karl Münchinger Chamber Orchestra, in duo with Robert Veyron-Lacroix) and in instrumental groups. Among other radio stations, he has played a number of recording productions for the BBC. Nonetheless he kept close to his first love: piano accompaniment in Lied performance. In 1967, he was awarded an official prize in this field at an International Opera Contest sponsored by the Bulgarian State.
The composer also writes poetry and articles on various subjects.
Vocal music caught his attention at the age of nine (1942), since he was a boy soprano in the Mechelen Cathedral Choir, one of the 270 choristers. He started to compose at an early age, his serious work dating from 1953. Ever since the list of vocal compositions has grown steadily, outnumbering his instrumental output.
Choral works (selection)
- Six Dickinson miniatures (1980) for SATB, published by De Notenboom, available from Koor&Stem and its library.
- Pentalpha (1983) for SATB, published by De Notenboom and after by Centrum voor Vocale Muziek, available from Koor&Stem and its library.
- My love is like a red, red rose (1984) for SATB, published by De Notenboom
- Christal (2007/2008) for SATB, published by Euprint
- Chanson d'automne, cd, published by Montefagorum, available from webshop Koor&Stem
- Voorbij de zon en de wind, cd, published by Montefagorum, available from webshop Koor&Stem
Register for our newsletter
We keep you informed 4 times a year about repertoire news, info about Flemish composers, new acquisitions in our library, webshop or freely downloadable scores on Koorklank