Wim Henderickx (1962 - 2022) was a Flemish composer, based in Antwerp. He studied composition and percussion at the Royal Conservatoire in Antwerp and sonology at Ircam in Paris and at the Conservatoire in The Hague.
Many of his works are influenced by oriental music and philosophy. He wrote works for opera, music theatre, orchestra, choirs, windband and chamber music. Electronics are often an important feature in his music. Between 2004 and 2010 he wrote his Tantric Cycle. Commissioned by the Queen Elisabeth Competition, he composed Canzone for voice and piano, for the semi finals of the 2008 edition. Since 2013 he often composed for choirs too. In October 2016 Blossomings for choir, trumpet and electronics premiered at LSO St Luke's in London with the BBC Singers, Marco Blaauw (trumpet) and Martyn Brabbins (conductor). It was also performed in 2019 in Estonia with the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir during the World Music Days in Tallinn. Requiem was commissioned by Opera Ballet Vlaanderen in 2017, a collaboration with choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. In 2019 he wrote Klank van de stad for soprano, children's choir, mixed choir, violin and ud on a text by Maud Vanhauwaert, Antwerp's city poet.
Artist in residence
Wim Henderickx was professor of composition at the Royal Conservatoire in Antwerp: www.ap-arts.be
and at the Conservatoire in Amsterdam: www.conservatoriumvanamsterdam.nl. He was also the main coach on the annual SoundMine Summer Composition Course for young composers, which is organised by Musica, Impulse Centre for Music.
Wim Henderickx received numerous awards, such as the Prize for Contemporary Music Flanders-Québec in 1993. In 2006 he was nominated for the Flanders Culture Prizes and in 2011 he received the Lifetime Achievement Award in Lier (BE), his birthplace. He was appointed as a member of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium (KVAB) for Science and the Arts in 2015. Nominated for the Prize 'Composer of the Year' in 2017 by the Norwegian Music Publisher's Society in the Classical / Contemporary music series.
Unexpected death, great loss
Wim Henderickx passed away unexpectedly on Sunday 18 December 2022. The composer receives a lot of praise from fellow musicians, composers, concert organizers and students. In addition to being an inspirer and inspiration, he was a warm and open personality with an eye and ear for everyone.
Choral work (selection)
- De klank van de stad, for soprano, mixed choir, children's choir, violin and ud (or guitar) set on a text by Maud Vanhauwaert, 2019, published by Norsk Musikforlag.
- Maria, for SATB, 2019. First 250 copies were published by Ascolta in a liber amicorum for conductor Maria Van Nieukerken.
- Blossomings, for SATB, clarinet and optional electronics, 2018, published by Norsk Musikforlag.
- Missa Brevis for SATB and optional electronics, 2017, published by Norsk Musikforlag, also available in versions for female choir or male choir.
- Blossomings, for SATB, trumpet and optional electronics, 2016, published by Norsk Musikforlag.
- Estasi, for mixed choirs, soprano and bass soloists, electronics ad libitum, 2016, published by Norsk Musikforlag.
- Visioni ed estasi, for mixed choir and electronics, 2015, published by Norsk Musikforlag.
- Colors, for SATB, female choir and electronics, 2014, published by Norsk Musikforlag; also in versions for SATB or female choir.
- The new ring, for SATB and optional electronics, 2013, published by Norsk Musikforlag.
Register for our newsletter
We keep you informed 4 times a year about repertoire news, info about Flemish composers, new acquisitions in our library, webshop or freely downloadable scores on Koorklank